2019-10-01 01:40:00 / Central Emergency Operations Center
Central Emergency Operation Center for Typhoon MitaNewsletter
Typhoon Mita is gradually intensified. Be sure to raise alert and guard against the potential danger.
According to the latest meteorological data, the center of Typhoon Mita is about 110 kilometers in the east of Ilana md it is moving north north-west. At present, the storm circle has covered land in northeastern Taiwan, and it’s posing a threat to Nantou, north of Taichung, Ilan, Hualien, Taitung, and Mazu. The northeast and north are the main affected areas, and the impact will last until noon tomorrow.
Affected by the typhoon and its peripheral circulation, New Taipei, Keelung, Taipei, Taoyuan, Hsinchu, Miaoli, Taichung, Nantou, Ilan, Hualien and Mazu should be strictly guarded against strong winds and heavy rains. Ships operating in the northern part of Taiwan, the northern part of the Taiwan Strait, the northeastern part of Taiwan, and the southeastern part of Taiwan should be strictly guarded against the typhoon as well.
At 8:00 p.m., the Central Emergency Operation Center held the 6th
conference on intelligence research.. At 9:00 p.m., the Commander personally presided over the sixth work meeting. (Commander and Minister of Interior) Hsu Kuo-Yun requires that each functional group of the Central Emergency Operation Center must stay vigilant and actively face typhoon attacks, and hereby reminds all levels of government to carry out disaster prevention and settlement operations in advance. In addition, the following key tasks shall be implemented:
- The Central Weather Bureau and the National Science and Technology Center for Disaster Reduction (NCDR) shall continuously monitor the typhoon dynamics and maintain close contact with the various disaster prevention units, while using multiple channels to provide the public with alarm messages and general weather conditions.
- The Ministry of Interior shall inform the local government to mobilize the disaster investigation system, including civil affairs, police administration, firefighting, etc., to grasp the various disaster conditions, especially the casualties of the people, so that all kinds of disasters can be quickly responded to.
- The poor night vision is caused by the winds and rains, the press release team shall continue to inform the media to tell people in the alert area not to go out to avoid unnecessary casualties.
- The wind and rain will gradually increase throughout the night. For some areas where the risks of soil and rock flow and slope disaster are high, the county and city governments have implemented preventive evacuation. The shelter and resettlement team shall really supervise the local government to properly take care of the people placed in the shelter.
- Strong winds have caused damage to some of the power and communication facilities in the whole station. The hydropower maintenance team shall supervise the relevant institutions to repair power and telecommunications facilities as soon as possible. Please also pay attention to the safety of repair workers.
- In order to resume work and schooling tomorrow, with regard to road obstruction, early warning closure and track facilities, sea and air traffic suspension, and traffic stoppage information, the Traffic Engineering Group shall use multi-channels to publicize and provide information for the public.
The Ministry of Interior calls on the public to keep abreast of the latest weather information, prepare for the typhoons strikes, and try to avoid going out as much as possible.
For the latest typhoon dynamics and disaster situation, please visit the Disaster Information Station (www.emic.gov.tw/
) and the Facebook fan page of the National Fire Agency, Ministry of the Interior (www.facebook.com/NFA999/
). (Written by: Leng Chia-yu, Tel: 02-81966100).