2021-08-05 14:00:00 / Central Emergency Operations Center
The Central Emergency Operation Center urges the general public to be aware and pay extra attention to safety
The latest weather data indicates that Typhoon Lupit is located in the sea area about 220 kilometers southwest of Kinmen at 08:00 today (8/5). It is gradually drafting with a speed of 8 turning to 5 kilometers per hour towards the coastal area of Fujian and Guangdong, China. The storm radius of the typhoon has entered Taiwan Strait and it is posing a threat to Taiwan Strait. The winds and waves in Taiwan Strait, the southeastern sea area and Bashi Strait have gradually increased today (8/5) with the impact of the typhoon and its peripheral circulation; strong winds equivalent to level 8 to 9 are expected in Penghu, Kinmen, Mazu as well as in the southeastern (including Orchid Island and Green Island) region and the coastal open space areas of Hengchun Peninsula. Strong winds equivalent to level 8 to 9 are also expected to occur in Dongsha Island and strong winds and waves are expected in the adjacent sea areas; long waves are expected in the northern, northeastern (including Orchid Island and Green Island), the coastal sea areas in the southwestern region, as well as in Penghu and Jinmen and Mazu, please pay extra caution to safety for any activities near the sea.
The deputy minister of the Ministry of Transportation and Communications, Chen Zheng-Qi, who also serves as the deputy commander of the Central Emergency Operation Center, held the third working meeting and information research and judgment meeting for Typhoon Lupit at 9:00 today (8/5). The deputy commander instructed all participated authorities (units) to strengthen the following preparation and preventive measures:
1. The Central Weather Bureau is requested to continue to monitor and pay close attention to the typhoon and dynamic conditions of severe weather. The short-duration heavy rain is expected to occur with the impact of the typhoon and its peripheral circulation. The Central Weather Bureau and governments at all levels should adopt diverse channels to provide the general public with various alert messages and weather status overviews.
2. For the cancellation of flights in remote islands, please adopt diverse media channels to strengthen information disclosure. Moreover, for the roads and slopes facilities of railways in the western regions with higher possibility of disaster due to heavy rains, it is required to monitor rainfall and implement warning measures of traffic control as soon as possible. At the same time, a traffic backup and evacuation proposal should be made for the slopes, roads, and railway facilities with higher risk of disasters, so that they can be continuously monitored. It is also required to proactively urge the general public to pay attention to the falling rocks in the mountain roads.
3. As Taiwan is still under the impact of depression belt, it is estimated that strong winds and torrential rains will be brought to the western region with the impact of the typhoon and its peripheral circulation. The Ministry of Transportation and Communications is required to request the local governments to implement rainfall monitoring for underground MRT, railway and long tunnel facilities as well as inspect the functions of water gates and pumps. At the same time, it is necessary to strengthen the precaution warning of wind monitoring for elevated road sections and railway facilities, as well as to initiate disaster prevention and response measures as soon as possible.
4. The latest information from the working meeting and report is required to be delivered to local governments. In particular, the rainfall in the central and southern regions is estimated to gradually increase. The impact of the rain cannot be underestimated due to the recent continuous rainfall and the impact of typhoon, the local governments in the central and southern regions are requested to take response measures and promptly raise the level of response center according to the amount of rainfall.
5. According to the media report in the past few days, an incident of serious standing water in the underground tunnel that caused driving safety of the public in the underpass due to short-duration heavy rain, the local governments are requested to verify and prepare the underground drainage facilities as well as initiate the alert measures as soon as possible.
6. Taking into consideration of the earthquake that happened in the northeastern sea area this morning and almost all regions in Taiwan are affected, so as the risk of slope disasters is expected to increase significantly due to the expected continuous rain in the central and southern mountainous regions in the future. As the Council of Agriculture issued yellow alert of mudslide for some townships in Kaohsiung and Pingtung, the local governments with Jurisdiction of the areas with possible mudslide are requested to complete the disaster prevention and preparation measures today, and properly implement the resettlement operations according to the epidemic prevention guidelines to protect the general public’s safety.
For the latest updates on the typhoon and disaster status, please visit the Central Emergency Operation Center’s disaster information website (www.emic.gov.tw/) and the Facebook of the National Fire Agency of the Ministry of the Interior (www.facebook.com/NFA999/
) (this article is written by: Leng Chia-Yu, Tel: 02-81966100).