Typhoon Mita is intensified and approaching. Please raise your alert level and do not let down your guard.
From today (30th) to the morning of (1st), Typhoon Mita would affect Taiwan most fiercely. The Central Weather Bureau has issued a special report on the extremely heavy rains in the mountainous areas of northern Taichung and northern Hualien, and the warning against the torrential rain in the mountains of Ilan County, New Taipei City and Taoyuan County. The areas that are most threatened are the mountainous areas in New Taipei City, Taoyuan City and Ilan County. The total estimated rainfall is up to 800 mm.
In response to the typhoon threat, the Central Emergency Operation Center held the 5th Intelligence Research Conference at 14:00. And at 15:00, the commander personally presided over the 5th work meeting and held a press conference after the meeting.
(Commander and Minister of Interior) Hsu Kuo-Yung particularly emphasizes that although no typhoon has directly invaded Taiwan in this year, the functional groups should still raise alertness, guard against typhoons, and never let down their guard. In addition, the local governments are hereby reminded to raise the response level according to the typhoon dynamics and pay attention to the following key points:
- Regarding areas most affected by the storm circle and peripheral circulation of the typhoon, the news release team shall continue to inform the media to urge the public to avoid unnecessary outdoor activities. It is mandatory to disperse people who play along the beachside and watch the waves and issue a ticket to them to ensure their safety.
- The Ministry of Interior shall inform the local government to mobilize civil affairs personnel, police officers, and firefighters to conduct disaster investigations to ensure quick responses can be made to all kinds of disasters and relevant conditions, especially the civilian casualties, can be grasped.
- The tide will be high when the typhoon strikes. At the same time, as the water storage capacity of all local reservoirs is at a high level, the related adjustment and water discharge operations are likely to cause poor drainage in coastal areas. The Water Resources Agency and the Construction and Planning Agency shall take the initiative to remind local governments to prepare for the situation and continue to strengthen the preparation of the pumping station and pumping equipment depending on the tide level and rainfall situation.
- Regarding areas that may be subject to the torrential rain, especially the areas such as Ilan County, New Taipei City, and Taoyuan County, where the Central Weather Bureau has issued warnings against the torrential rain, and the potential rainfall amount is expected to reach the Red alert level, local governments must take advantage of the precious time before tonight to complete preventive evacuation for high-hazard areas. And the supportive dispatching team shall actively assist the local governments in mobilizing the national army to carry out the evacuation work as needed.
- Strong winds have caused damage to some of the power and communication facilities in Taiwan. The hydropower maintenance team shall supervise the relevant institutions to repair the power/telecom facilities as soon as possible. At the same time, please also pay attention to the safety of the construction personnel.
For the latest typhoon dynamics and disaster situation, please visit the Disaster Information Station (www.emic.gov.tw/) and the Facebook fan page of the National Fire Agency, Ministry of the Interior (www.facebook.com/NFA999/). (Written by: Leng Chia-yu, Tel: 02-81966100).