Central Emergency Operation Center for Typhoon CHOI-WAN
The Central Emergency Operation Center urges the general public to be alert and pay close attention to safety
The Central Weather Bureau (CWB) issued a sea warning and land warning for Typhoon CHOI-WAN at 23:30 yesterday (06/03) and the Central Emergency Operation Center raised the alert to level 2. The latest weather data indicates that the center of Typhoon CHOI-WAN is currently situated in the southwest seas of Eluanbi, veering towards northeast. The radius of the tropical storm has entered the seas of Dongsha Island and Bashi Channel, and it is going to affect Hengchun Peninsula, Pingtung and Taitung. Hengchun Peninsula, Pingtung and Taitung (including the Orchid Island and Green Island) should be alert and prepared for strong winds and heavy rains. The seas of Dongsha Island, Bashi Channel, southern areas of Taiwan Strait and the vessels sailing and operating in the southeastern seas of Taiwan Strait should be aware and pay extra caution.
Premier Su Tseng-chang of the Executive Yuan attended the third working meeting and information research and judgment meeting for Typhoon CHOI-WAN at 4 pm on June 4, 2021. Premier Su mentioned that the response period of this typhoon is in during the establishment period of the Central Epidemic Command Center for Severe and Special Infectious Pneumonia and the Central Emergency Operation Center, hence the typhoon disaster response center faced the challenge of multiple disasters. The disaster prevention and relief personnel at all levels of governments should continue to carry on their duties; the central and local governments should work together to minimize losses of disaster.
Premier Su also instructed all units to strengthen the implementation of the following measures:
1. The safety of people who live in the area with high risk of disaster should be taken into the priority consideration, and the disaster prevention operations must be carried out. The central ministries and units as well as the national army are requested to fully grasp the disaster status and support the local government for the disaster response measures at all times.
2. There will be short and heavy rains over the weekend due to severe weather condition and the rainfall will be at the level of extremely heavy rain or more. At present, the local governments have set up large-scale outdoors screening stations and quick screening stations in response to the pandemic. Please reinforce the facilities and strengthened rain cover as the outdoor facilities are easily affected by the weather.
3. According to the report by the Central Weather Bureau, the front current will bring abundant rainfall to the central and southern regions tomorrow and it will has a good opportunity for drought relief. However, we must continue to carry out the flood prevention measures. We must make sure that flood prevention and drainage system facilities and the drainage function of the underground drainage system in the lowland coastal areas are working properly. At the same time, the pumps, pumping stations and flood control parts shall be prepared in advance; the pumping equipment shall be able to be flexibly dispatched based on the actual rainfall status.
4. Taking into consideration that recent heavy rains have loosened the soil and rocks in the mountain areas, and the risk for the soil slope disaster has greatly increased. Please practically monitor the rainfall situation to prevent possible soil and mud-rock flow or collapse on the side slopes of railways and highways, and conduct operations such as evacuation and shelter resettlement in advance. Based on the epidemic prevention measures by the “Central Epidemic Command Center for Severe and Special Infectious Pneumonia”, the relevant public disaster prevention and mitigation measures shall be ready, so that the risk of possible infection spreading of the epidemic can be reduced.
In addition, the commander Hsu Kuo-Yung, the Minister of Interior mentioned: the data of the Central Weather Bureau indicates that the radius of the typhoon is expected to enter the land area this evening. The land warning areas include Taitung and Pingtung. The local governments of the land warning areas have established response centers. The trend of the typhoon will be affected by the northeast monsoon in the future and thus its path still remains uncertain. Please continue to strengthen the following preventive measures:
1. According to the report and instructions from the first two working meetings, including continuous implementation of monitoring for weather information, reinforcing of alert measures in the coastal areas, pay close attention to the safety of ships and personnel operating at seas, strengthening the protection of coastal aquaculture and fishery industry, implementing the planning for risk prevention of soil and rock disaster in advance, as well as matters regarding typhoon disaster prevention and border control for pandemic prevention; please continue to implement relevant disaster prevention and preventive measures.
2. The wind and waves in the southwestern region and eastern region (including the Orchid Island and Green Island) and coastal areas of the Hengchun Peninsula are gradually increasing and hence it is required to reinforce the police patrol and inspections, continue to carry out the control operation, and the general public is strongly urged not to go watch the tides and waves or play in the water.
3. The typhoon will create stronger winds in open space areas along the coast of Kinmen and Matsu. Please continue to strengthen the propaganda for reinforcing the signs, scaffolds, advertising boards, etc. The general public is requested to practically implement the level 3 alert of for epidemic prevention by the Central Epidemic Command Center and stay at home as well as avoid going outdoors or beach for any sea activities.
4. On the basis of the analysis of the CWB, it is expected that the radius of the typhoon will cover Pingtung and Taitung areas tonight. Please use diverse channels to provide the general public with various alert reports and weather information, and the implementation of various disaster investigation and notification operations shall be conducted. In addition, please strengthen the disaster prevention and preventive measures for areas that have higher possibility to become an islanding area and practically implement the highway control.
5. In the second half of today, some flooding disasters caused by the typhoon can be seen in Taipei City and New Taipei City. Please grasp the disaster situation and speed up the drainage operation for the flooding areas, so that the general public can go back to their normal life as soon as possible.
For the latest updates on the typhoon and disaster status, please visit the Central Emergency Operation Center’s disaster information website (www.emic.gov.tw/) and the Facebook of the National Fire Agency of the Ministry of the Interior (www.facebook.com/NFA999/) (this article is written by: Leng Chia-Yu, Tel: 02-81966100).