Typhoon In-fa is slowly approaching the northeastern sea area
The Central Emergency Operation Center urges the general public to be aware and pay attention to safetyThe latest weather data indicates that the center of Typhoon In-fa is currently located in the east southeast sea area of Taipei and it is turning slowly towards west to west northwest of Taipei. Its storm radius is gradually approaching the sea area in eastern Taiwan and it is posing a threat to the sea area in northeastern and southeastern Taiwan. The sailing and operating vessels in the northeastern and southeastern sea area of Taiwan need to pay close attention and the low-lying coastal areas need to be aware of flooding. Recently, earthquakes frequently occurred in the eastern Taiwan and thus we need to be aware of landslides and falling rocks in the mountainous regions. High waves already occurred in the northern and eastern Taiwan (including Orchid Island and Green Island), Hengchun Peninsula and the coast area of Matsu; strong wind equivalent to Grade 8 to 10 are expected in the open space areas in the western, northeastern and eastern coastal areas, as well as in Kinmen and Matsu. The general public is also reminded to be aware of their safety and pay extra caution for any activities near the sea. Furthermore, with the sedimentation impact by the peripheral circulation of the typhoon, the temperature in Taitung, Hualien and Kinmen is high today (7/22), and please be aware as there is a possibility of high temperature of 36 degrees in some regions.
The deputy minister of the Ministry of Transportation and Communications, Qiu Chang-Yue, who also serves as the deputy commander of the Central Emergency Operation Center, held the second working meeting and information research and judgment meeting for Typhoon In-fa at 9:00 today (7/22). The deputy commander instructed to strengthen the following preparation and preventive measures:
1. Please continue to monitor and pay close attention to the typhoon and dynamic conditions of severe weather. With the impact by the peripheral circulation of the typhoon, the short heavy rainfall duration are expected to occur. Please use diverse channels to provide the general public with various alert messages and weather overviews. At the current three-level pandemic alert by the Central Epidemic Command Center, the general public is also urged to implement the typhoon relief measures. During the period of typhoon, the general public is also urged to stay at home, not going out or going to the beach for any sea activities.
2. It is required to implement various instructions from the working meeting, including coastal control, offshore ships prevention and protection operations against the typhoon, and protection measures for coastal aquaculture and fishery industry, etc. Moreover, taking into consideration of current pandemic period and the demands for merchant ships and fishing boats docking at the ports due high waves, the epidemic prevention measures by the “Central Epidemic Command Center for Severe and Special Infectious Pneumonia” are required to be implemented for border control and epidemic prevention measures.
3. At present, with the impact of the typhoon and its peripheral circulation, rainfall occurred in the northern region of the nation. When the peripheral circulation of the typhoon gradually approaches, severe rainfall will occur and thus strengthening the water conservancy facilities and supervising the preparation of sandbags are required and the function of the flood control and underground drainage systems in the low-lying areas need to be ensured.
4. The soil and rock in the mountainous regions are loosened due to the recent and frequent earthquakes in the eastern of the nation, this typhoon. According to the weather information, the total rainfall amount in the northern, northeastern and central mountainous region will be considerable high and hence the risk of slope disasters due to heavy rainfall has greatly increased. The following measures are required to be practically implemented:
(1) Please practically implement the rainfall monitoring for possible disaster highway sections as well as initiate the warning operations of traffic control as soon as possible.
(2) Please practically implement the monitoring and precautionary warning mechanism of landslides and falling rocks, as well as review the relevant typhoon prevention and preparation operations and conduct inventory check of evacuation list for the disadvantaged groups in areas with high possibility of disasters. It is necessary to initiate various disaster prevention and relief measures as soon as possible according to various data and information.
5. According to the epidemic prevention measures by the “Central Epidemic Command Center for Severe and Special Infectious Pneumonia”, it is required to conduct inventory check of facilities such as the centralized quarantine station and quarantine hotel for the areas with high possibility of disasters. At the same time, it is also required to check the home quarantine and quarantine list for the households under the jurisdiction. In addition, it is necessary to plan in advance for epidemic prevention, shelter and resettlement sites, materials of epidemic prevention, storage capacity, and transportation arrangements for evacuation.
For the latest updates on the typhoon and disaster status, please visit the Central Emergency Operation Center’s disaster information website (www.emic.gov.tw/) and the Facebook of the National Fire Agency of the Ministry of the Interior (www.facebook.com/NFA999/) (this article is written by: Leng Chia-Yu, Tel: 02-81966100).