Typhoon Chanthu Upcoming
The Central Weather Bureau issued a sea typhoon warning for Typhoon Chanthu at 05:30 today (9/10) and the Central Emergency Operation Center also established a second-level response center at the same time. The latest weather data indicates that the No. 14 Typhoon Chanthu is currently located in the south southeastern sea of Eluanbi, drifting north northwest towards northwest. The storm radius of the typhoon is approaching the Bashi Strait and posing a threat to the Bashi Strait. With the impact of the typhoon and its peripheral circulation, winds and waves in the Bashi Strait and the southeastern part of Taiwan will gradually increase today; long waves are expected to occur in the north coast of Keelung and eastern Taiwan (including Orchid Island and Green Island), the central and southern regions of Taiwan, Hengchun Peninsula, Penghu, and Kinmen; please pay extra caution for any activities near the sea.
The deputy minister of the Ministry of Economic Affairs, Zeng Wen-Sheng, who also serves as the deputy commander of the Central Emergency Operation Center, held the first working meeting and information research and judgment meeting for Typhoon Chanthu at 9:00 today (9/10). The deputy commander instructed all participated authorities (units) to strengthen the following preparation and preventive measures:
1. The Central Weather Bureau is requested to continue to monitor and pay close attention to the typhoon and dynamic conditions of severe weather. At the same time, the general public is urged to implement measures against pandemic and typhoon during the current level-two pandemic alert issued by the Central Epidemic Command Center. Although the lockdown is a slight lifted. The public is urged to stay at home during period of typhoon and not going to conduct any activities near the sea.
2. Please inform the local government. Taking into consideration that some scenic attraction areas near the sea may cause freak waves and long waves are expected to occur in the north coast of Keelung and eastern Taiwan (including Orchid Island and Green Island), the central and southern regions of Taiwan, Hengchun Peninsula, Penghu, and Kinmen, please pay extra caution for any activities near the sea; the disaster prevention alert system and other diverse channels should be applied to proactively issue precautions to remind the general public in a timely manner, and the Coast Guard Administration is requested to cooperate and assist the operations of coastal control.
3. Please strengthen the promotion of protective measures against typhoon in the coastal aquaculture and fisheries, and request the fishery station to remind the ships operating in the sea to pay attention to safety.
4. Please strengthen the mooring operations of the docks to avoid stranding of berthed vessels. For the suspension or cancellation of flights due to the weather condition in the remote islands, diverse channels shall be used for promotion and early response measures shall be taken to protect the safety of tourists.
5. The storm radius of the typhoon is robust and it has reached the level of a strong typhoon. Strong wind of the typhoon once caused major disasters to the power transmission lines in eastern Taiwan in the past. Please be prepared in advance and take preventive measures against typhoon.
6. Taking into consideration that the typhoon's peripheral circulation (strong winds equivalent to level 12) may cause strong winds on the land; please reinforce the signboards, construction scaffolds, advertising signs, fences, and road trees to prevent them from falling off or dropping.
7. With the impact of the typhoon and its peripheral circulation, it is forecasted to start raining in the eastern regions of Taiwan tomorrow (9/11), the torrential rains are expected in the northern, northeastern, eastern and mountainous areas of Taiwan from the 12th. Please implement the following preventive measures:
(1) Please strengthen the maintenance of water conservation facilities and urge local governments to prepare sandbags as well as ensure the function of flood control for underground drainage systems and low-lying areas.
(2) In the past week, earthquakes continuously occurred in the eastern region of Taiwan. It is required to strengthen the monitoring mechanism for the slopes and notify local governments to be aware and reinforce the preventive measure for the areas with high disaster potential, to take preventive deployment in advance to prevent and relief disaster as soon as possible.
For the latest updates on the typhoon and disaster status, please visit the Central Emergency Operation Center’s disaster information website (www.emic.gov.tw/) and the Facebook of the National Fire Agency of the Ministry of the Interior (www.facebook.com/NFA999/) (this article is written by: Li Ming-Xian, Tel: 02-81966100).