Disaster Prevention and Response Report No. 2 for Typhoon Chanthu
The center of severe typhoon Chanthu was located at 20.7 degrees north latitude and 121.7 degrees east longitude at 11:00 on Sep. 11, 2021, which is about 160 kilometers in the south southeastern sea of Eluanbi and is drifting north northwest towards north at a speed of 13 turning to 20 kilometers per hour. Its central pressure is 930 hPa and the maximum sustained wind speed near the center is 48 meters per second (equivalent to 173 kilometers per hour), which is equivalent to level 15 wind. It is forecasted that the typhoon’s center position will be at 24.2 degrees north latitude and 122.2 degrees east longitude at 11:00 on 9/12, which is in the sea area about 80 kilometers southeast of Yilan. The latest weather data indicates that intensity of No. 14 typhoon weakens to a moderate typhoon and the center position of Chanthu typhoon is currently in the south southeastern sea area of Eluanbi and it is drifting north. The storm radius of the typhoon is approaching Hengchun Peninsula and the land areas in southeastern Taiwan; it is posing a threat to Yilan, Hualien, Taitung (including Orchid Island and Green Island), Hengchun Peninsula, New Taipei City and Pingtung areas.
It is required to be vigilant of strong winds and torrential rains in Yilan, Hualien, Taitung (including Orchid Island and Green Island), New Taipei City, Taoyuan, Hsinchu, Miaoli, Taichung, Changhua, Nantou, Yunlin, Chiayi, Tainan, Kaohsiung, Pingtung and Hengchun Peninsula. The operating ships in the sea area around Taiwan and Bashi Strait should pay extra caution; with the impact of the typhoon and its peripheral circulation, strong winds are expected to occur in the southeast region (including Orchid Island and Green Island), Hengchun Peninsula, north of Taoyuan (including the greater Taipei area), and coastal areas of Matsu and Kinmen today (9/11); long waves are expected to occur in the sea areas around Taiwan and please pay extra caution for any activities near the sea. With the sedimentation impact by the peripheral circulation of the typhoon, it is possible to have high temperature of above 36 degrees in Taoyuan, Hsinchu and Kinmen today (9/11).
Maximum rainfall in different regions (the statistical data is from 0:00 to 08:40 on Sep. 11, 2021)
|Mudan Township, Pingtung County (nearby the Xuhai Prairie Trail)||56 mm|
|No. 2, Hongtou Village, Lanyu Township, Taitung County||52.5 mm|
|Xiulin Township, Hualien County||50 mm|
|No. 37, Yeyou Village, Lanyu Township, Taitung County (in Lanyu Senior High School)||49.5 mm|
|Shoufeng Township, Hualien County (nearby Mountain Yuemei)||48 mm|
II. Responsive actions
1. The establishment of disaster response and relief center in county and city (data source: National Fire Agency of the Ministry of the Interior)
The establishment of disaster response and relief center by municipal and county (city) governments:
Establishment of level-one disaster response and relief center: Taitung County, Kaohsiung City and Hualien County.
Establishment of level-two disaster response and relief center: Hsinchu City, Pingtung County and Yilan County.
Establishment of level-three disaster response and relief center: Nantou County, Yunlin County, Tainan City, Lianjiang County, Hsinchu County and Penghu County.
2. Evacuation and resettlement status: none
(1) Number of evacuated persons: 15
|County(city)||Number of township and urban area||Number of village and tribes||The cumulative number of evacuated persons|
(2) Shelter and resettlement: 1 shelter in Kaohsiung City and 1 shelter in Taitung County, with a total of resettlement for 14 people.
3. Planning of warning areas: 309 areas in total.
|County(city)||Number of designated danger areas|
|Low-lying area||Mountainous area||Seaside||River||Building||Others|
4. The dispatched manpower and facilities
(1) The Coast Guard Administration dispatched 941 person times, 196 vehicles and 38 boats.
(2) The police department dispatched 1,782 person times and the fire department dispatched 1 vehicle and 2 person times.
(3) 591 person times and 83 vehicles were dispatched by the National Army supports.
(4) The Water Resources Agency provided 98 pumps, in which 77 are under the management, 1 on standby, and 20 for supporting. The Environmental Protection Administration provides 2,918 disinfection facilities on standby.
5. Cancellation of work and classes (data source: Directorate-General of Personnel Administration, Executive Yuan):
Work and classes for today’s (9/11) afternoon are canceled in Taitung County; work and classes are canceled in Ludao Township today (9/11); work and classes are canceled in Lanyu Township today (9/11);
III. Statistics of disaster
1. Casualties (data source: National Fire Agency of the Ministry of the Interior): None.
2. Disaster status of lifeline (data source: Ministry of Economic Affairs): None.
3. Transportation status (data source: Ministry of Transportation and Communications)
(1) Taiwan Railway: all lines are in normal operation.
(2) High-speed rail: all lines are in normal operation.
(3) Provincial highway: in normal operation.
(4) Highway: all lines are in normal operation.
(5) Postal service: in normal operation.
(6) Air transportation: domestic flights were cancelled; 2 international flights were cancelled.
(7) Sea transportation: 46 sea voyages in 7 routes were cancelled.
4. Disaster status: None.