Disaster Prevention and Response Report No. 3 for Typhoon Chanthu
The center of severe typhoon Chanthu was located at 21.9 degrees north latitude and 121.9 degrees east longitude at 20:00 on Sep. 11, 2021, which is about 100 kilometers in the eastern sea area of Eluanbi and is drifting north at a speed of 20 kilometers per hour. Its central pressure is 940 hPa and the maximum sustained wind speed near the center is 45 meters per second (equivalent to 162 kilometers per hour), which is equivalent to level 14 wind. The instantaneous maximum wind speed is 55 meters per second (equivalent to 198 kilometers per hour), which is equivalent to a level 16 wind. It is forecasted that the typhoon’s center position will be at 25.9 degrees north latitude and 122.3 degrees east longitude at 20:00 on 9/12, which is in the sea area about 120 kilometers northeast of Taipei. The latest weather data indicates that the center position of No. 14 typhoon Chanthu is currently in the eastern sea area of Eluanbi and it is drifting north. The storm radius of the typhoon is approaching the southeastern, southern and eastern land areas of Taiwan and it is posing a threat to Taiwan's land areas.
It is required to be vigilant of strong winds and torrential rains in all areas of Taiwan (including Orchid Island and Green Island) and the operating ships in the sea area around Taiwan and Bashi Strait should pay extra caution; with the impact of the typhoon and its peripheral circulation, strong winds are expected to occur in the eastern region (including Orchid Island and Green Island), Hengchun Peninsula, southern region, north of Taoyuan (including the greater Taipei area), and coastal areas of Matsu, Penghu and Kinmen today (9/11); long waves are expected to occur in the sea areas around Taiwan and please pay extra caution for any activities near the sea. Level 17 strong wind occurred in Lanyu during the period from 0:00 to 20:00 on September 11.
Maximum rainfall in different regions (the statistical data is from 0:00 to 20:20 on Sep. 11, 2021)
|No. 37, Yeyou Village, Lanyu Township, Taitung County (in Lanyu Senior High School)||192.5 mm|
|No. 1-7, Coconut oil section, Lanyu Township, Taitung County (nearby Lanyu Lighthouse)||148 mm|
|No. 2, Hongtou Village, Lanyu Township, Taitung County||123.5 mm|
|Mudan Township, Pingtung County (nearby Xuhai Trail)||104mm|
|Xiulin Township, Hualien County||97.5 mm|
II. Responsive actions
1. The establishment of disaster response and relief center in county and city (data source: National Fire Agency of the Ministry of the Interior)
The establishment of disaster response and relief center by municipal and county (city) governments:
Establishment of level-one disaster response and relief center: Taipei City, New Taipei City, Taoyuan City, Taichung City, Kaohsiung City, Yilan County, Hsinchu City, Changhua County, Pingtung County, Nantou County, Chiayi County, Hualien County and Taitung County.
Establishment of level-two disaster response and relief center: Tainan City, Keelung City and Hsinchu County.
Establishment of level-three disaster response and relief center: Miaoli County, Yunlin County, Chiayi City, Penghu County and Lianjiang County.
2. Evacuation and resettlement status:
(1) Number of evacuated persons: 887 people in total
|County(city)||Number of township and urban area||Number of village and tribes||The cumulative number of evacuated persons|
(2) Shelter and resettlement: a total of 34 shelters are available (1 in Kaohsiung City, 3 in Taitung County, 26 in Hualien County, 2 in Pingtung County, and 2 in Yilan County), with a total of resettlement for 229 people.
3. Planning of warning areas: 1,331 areas in total.
|County(city)||Number of designated danger areas|
|Low-lying area||Mountainous area||Seaside||River||Building||Others|
4. The dispatched manpower and facilities
(1) The Coast Guard Administration dispatched 1,673 person times, 490 vehicles and 39 boats.
(2) 419 person times were dispatched by the National Army supports.
(3) The Water Resources Agency provided 98 pumps, in which 65 are under the control of management, 1 on standby, and 32 are in operation. The Environmental Protection Administration provided 2,918 disinfection facilities on standby.
5. Cancellation of work and classes (data source: Directorate-General of Personnel Administration, Executive Yuan):
(1) Work and classes that are canceled today (9/11): Ludao Township and Lanyu Township in Taitung County.
(2) Work and classes that are canceled for today’s (9/11) afternoon: Taitung County, Gongliao High School in New Taipei City, Bitou Primary School in Ruifang District.
(3) Work and classes that are canceled for today’s (9/11) evening: Hualien County, Hengchun Township, Checheng Township, Manzhou Township, Fangshan Township, Shizi Township, and Mudan Township in Pingtung County.
(4) Work and classes that will be canceled tomorrow (9/12): Keelung City, Taipei City, New Taipei City, Yilan County, Hualien County, Taitung County; and Kaohsiung City’s Liugui District, Jiaxian District, Maolin District, Taoyuan District, Namasia District.
III. Statistics of disaster
1. Casualties (data source: National Fire Agency of the Ministry of the Interior): None.
2. Disaster status of lifeline (data source: Ministry of Economic Affairs): 7,879 households were out of electricity, in which 7,879 households were repaired and 0 household was waiting to be repaired.
3. Transportation status (data source: Ministry of Transportation and Communications)
(1) Taiwan Railway: the operation status of train before 24:00 today (9/11) is as follows:
1. Western Main Line: all trains are in normal operation.
2. Eastern Main Line: Trains between Taipei and Hualien Station are in normal operation and the shuttle trains will be in operation based on the wind and rain condition. 2 trains from Taitung to Hualien are canceled; all trains from Hualien to Taitung will be canceled since 17:26.
3. South Link Line: all trains from Xinzuoying to Taitung will be canceled since 13:53; all trains from Taitung to Xinzuoying will be canceled since 16:55.
4. Branch lines: in normal operation.
(2) High-speed rail: all lines are in normal operation.
(3) Provincial highway: 2 precautionary closures (at 93K+000~98K+700 mark, from Qinhe to Fuxing section on Provincial highway 20; at 114K+600~184K+500 mark, from Guanyuan to Taroko section on Provincial highway 8).
(4) Highway: all lines are in normal operation.
(5) Postal service: in normal operation.
(6) Air transportation: 52 domestic flights were cancelled; 2 international flights were cancelled.
(7) Sea transportation: 46 sea voyages in 7 routes were cancelled.
4. Disaster status: One flooded area in Lanyu Township, in which one area was receded.